I’ve been working with LinkedIn for over 20 years. Currently I do a lot with the site and have some great tips on how to become a LinkedIn superstar!
Improve your LinkedIn Profile
- Make sure you have a picture and you’re smiling. People want to work with people they like! Also have a headline picture
- Think about what “key words” people looking for someone with your skills will search for and make sure you have them in your profile.
- Check out the competition and see what words they are using
- Use LinkedIn search to see how many people return with words you’re using
- Rewrite your headline. It is the most important thing to pay attention to! Use keywords from above
- Have examples of your work (videos, documents, etc.)
- Get recommendations – proactively contact people & possibly provide input on what appreciate being highlighted
- Be selective about your content- Less is more!
- Talk about how you applied your skills to solve a problem/make company money
- Have your resume in Word and PDF
- Spellcheck your profile & resume
- Customize your linked URL
- Post relevant links regularly. Use Buffer to make this easy
Why you should grow your LinkedIn Network
- Why grow network
- You can email your first connections
- Can see more people’s profiles
- More people can you see / find you!
- What is risk of connecting with people?
- People will email/call you. (yes, but it isn’t too crazy)
- People will see your connections (you can turn this off)
- Is it more important on quality over quantity of connections
- If you have less than 500, you should probably aim for both
- If over 1,000 might be able to stick with just quality
How to Grow your LinkedIn Network
- How grow network
- Join Large groups
- Find 2nd & 3rd Connections in the group and connect with them
- Join Relevant groups (don’t forget alumni groups)
- Use main search and filter by 2ndconnections and Industry, Region, Job title, terms
- Become a L.I.O.N (LinkedIn Open Networker) and join their groups plus connect to them
- Find people that are connected to a zillion people. LionsLionList
- Before connecting
- add (LION) in your title / name
- write a specific (yet generic) message that you’re a LION and are trying to connect to many. Thank them ahead of time for connecting.
- Join Large groups
Exporting & Using 1st level connections from LinkedIn to be a LinkedIn superstar
In this video I walk you through how you can export all of your first-level contacts on LinkedIn. After exporting you’ll have their contact information which allows you to write them outside LinkedIn!